In many aspects, the 82 anonymous employee assessments of employer Dechert on Glassdoor mirror what is posted about other large law firms on that site.
The overall rating is 3.2. That is lower than the ratings of Jones Day, Cravath, and Skadden on Glassdoor.
The pros cited by many Dechert employees sound familiar to anyone who is familiar with professional life at BigLaw.
- Interesting work
- Smart, friendly peers
- BigLaw salary
- Supportive staff.
The cons include:
- No work/life balance, given the long hours
- Being assigned to a plum project tends to involve politics
- Some teams have a lot more clout than others
- Too many layers of management
- Difficult to make partner
- Cut-throat behavior among partners
- High turnover among associates
- The compensation may not really reimburse the number of hours of work
- Staff members perceive themselves as unappreciated and underpaid.
A specific beef at Dechert is the comprehensive and cumbersome performance review process which takes place twice a year. Everyone seems to have to review everyone else. That can be tedious - and painful.
But what jumps out amid the reviews is that those focusing on inappropriate behavior receive a reply right on the Glassdoor site by Dechert management.
Among what employees mention are allegations about:
- Sexual harassment by a high producer which was not punished
- Complaints by higher-ups on how maternity costs drive up the expense of health premiums
- Women who give birth are "punished" by the system
- Employee is yelled at during the night for one typo, after working without sleep for three nights. Also, there were objects thrown at the employee
- Minority employee was instructed to remain concealed.
Much of those postings and the Dechert responses occurred in 2017.
Experts in workplace environments and employment litigation might be interested to surf Glassdoor's Dechert site.
Place your sponsored content (short and long form) and links on this site. Affordable fees. Strategic guidance/ghostwriting also available. For complimentary consultation, please contact Jane Genova (firstname.lastname@example.org).